Skip to main content

Fresh!

Sawasdee-Ka in Erfurt

Erfurt has been blessed with an explosion of new restaurants and eateries. Not surprising seeing that food is, after all, a real necessity. What is a little surprising to me, and pleasantly so, is the sudden burst of Asian restaurants. Why this is, I have no idea. But I ain't complainin'.  One of the newest restaurants to come on the scene is Chao Phraya Thai Kitchen - a full-on Thai restaurant and self-proclaimed as Erfurt's first Thai restaurant. This latter part is especially important to note - most Asian restaurants here are a fusion mix of East, South and South East dishes.  For those less familiar with the differences: (Achtung: these are estimates of actual geographical boundaries) East Asia refers to the regions of and surrounding China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan Macao, Mongolia and Korea. South Asia would be the countries of India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Nepal, and the regions around it. Given its vast landscape, parts of India are also North Asia.  South East Asi

Food Hütte

 It would appear that the loosening of Covid-19 restrictions has resulted in me doing a whole lot more of outdoor eating, and a whole lot less of actually recording what I eat. I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that I have been busy eating since my last blog. The side effect of which is the slight expansion of the waistline (keyword being "slight"). 

One of those eating occasions was the recent one at Glasshütte at St Petersburg Citadel at the heart of Erfurt city. Translated, Glasshütte means "glass hut", which is seriously good marketing. After all, who wouldn't be curious enough to investigate a restaurant that claims to be a hut made of glass? Me, for one. 

And so it was that I joined a few friends for dinner there. Before we dig in, however, I would have to clarify a couple of things: firstly, it isn't made of glass. At least, not totally. Yes, there were large windows all around the dining area, giving you the illusion that you are indeed in a glass room. But rest assured, there was more than adequate solid flooring and wall supports, so no one needs to worry about the room collapsing with the extra kilogrammes gained after a meal there. Secondly, it is nowhere close to being a hut. More like a restaurant-bar that comes with an open-air terrace and side balconies for the foodies who want to enjoy their meal in the open, presumably to create the ambience of a high-class picnic. 


I have to admit, being in a room that gives you a 180 view of your surroundings does whet the appetite.  With a view that opens up to the city at a castle-fort height, you would be forgiving of almost anything. As this is historically an actual fort and castle in medieval times, I can truly understand the feeling of entitlement the elitists had back in the day - literally "looking down" on the little people, who, at that distance, are literally "little" people. 



So I was equally forgiving of my plate that day - pan fried Zanderfilet (essentially fish fillet) that came with sauteed tomatoes, lemon butter and spiced risotto. It looked amazing, smelt amazing and served with an amazing flourish. What wasn't so amazing for me was the risotto, which I personally felt didn't quite "go" with the fillet. 

To be fair, I'm not sure what would be a good substitute, but all I can say is, for my personal palate, the risotto was out of its league. Too humble. Underdressed. Plain. In other words, far below its counterparts of fish and tomatoes. 

(I will take a moment here and say, this could be a strictly individual thing - a good friend I was dining with said she found no fault with the risotto). 

The fish, on the other hand, lived up to its looks. Tender and moist, it was firm enough to not fall into pieces when cut into and yet tender enough to melt in the mouth. The lemon butter flavour provided a tangy balance into an otherwise blah taste, which can always be offset by a bite of the nicely-sauteed tomatoes. 

Another option on the menu was asparagus and shrimp salad with cocktail sauce. 

Under all that cocktail sauce was a delectable combo of asparagus (cut into shorter strips) and shrimps (whole pieces). 

Let me put it out there, I am thrilled that the shrimps weren't dissected. I have eaten at restaurants where shrimps, small as they are, are further sliced to create the illusion of mass.  I always say, if you're a running a restaurant and a scrooge, don't serve shrimps. Better whole than one-thirds (and yes, some eateries have proven that it is possible to divide one shrimp into three parts!). 

Back to my salad, this was absolutely worth every spoonful. Served with salad leaves, this came in a huge bowl so if you're on a diet of sorts, this alone would fulfil your needs. Just between you and me: this will be on my next order if I come back for another meal with a glorious view. The cocktail sauce blended in well with the asparagus and shrimps, which made a perfect foundation for all the rich texture of sauce. The salad was fresh and crispy which, if you're a salad eater, are extremely important characteristics of raw greens. Nobody likes wilted, limp raw greens as a salad - unless it's meant as decoration. And even then. 

Judging from what I have just written, you would not be wrong to think that I had some misgivings about what I ordered - while the Zanderfilet was divine, it was taken down a notch somewhat by the risotto. 

All in all, this eating experience was wholly enjoyable. What was lacking in culinary quality was fully made up for by a wonderful experience that was a combination of good service and an oh-so-glorious view. 

So if you're looking for a picturesque dining experience to chill to (or impress someone with), this should be an option. It would be mine. 









Comments

Popular Posts