Skip to main content

Fresh!

Sawasdee-Ka in Erfurt

Erfurt has been blessed with an explosion of new restaurants and eateries. Not surprising seeing that food is, after all, a real necessity. What is a little surprising to me, and pleasantly so, is the sudden burst of Asian restaurants. Why this is, I have no idea. But I ain't complainin'.  One of the newest restaurants to come on the scene is Chao Phraya Thai Kitchen - a full-on Thai restaurant and self-proclaimed as Erfurt's first Thai restaurant. This latter part is especially important to note - most Asian restaurants here are a fusion mix of East, South and South East dishes.  For those less familiar with the differences: (Achtung: these are estimates of actual geographical boundaries) East Asia refers to the regions of and surrounding China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan Macao, Mongolia and Korea. South Asia would be the countries of India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Nepal, and the regions around it. Given its vast landscape, parts of India are also North Asia.  South East Asi

Dinner at the (Irish) Pub

The whole of summer was spent back home in Borneo, so it was only after coming back and surviving jetlag and homesickness that I ventured out again. Getting used again to different outdoor eating environments needed a little bit of getting used to, I might add. The heat was different (it's the last warm days of end summer and early autumn), the cutlery was different, the overall feel was definitely different. So yes, it needed some getting used to. 

But human beings are creatures of habit. So just as it was really easy for me to get used to outdoor kopitiams in Kuching, it was equally easy for me to revert to Erfurt-local eateries. 

And one of those familiar spots is the Irish Dubliner Pub at the junction of Eichenstrasse and Newerkstrasse. And literally a hop, skip and jump from where I live. That latter point, in particular, is a boon when specific cravings of the brewed kind attacks. 

We normally hop over for a beer (or three!) but I got distracted by their Tagesangebot or Offer Of The Day menu. Top of the list was the Seafood Chowder, and being a lover of seafood, I decided to give it a shot. 


It smelt heavenly and was served piping hot, which I absolutely adore. Soups, I feel, should always be hot. I haven't gotten to the stage to be able to appreciate cold soups, which should be my next culinary challenge. 

The soup in itself is enough as a meal, so light eaters shouldn't have to worry about not having enough for dinner - as one who never fails to have an appetite at mealtimes (or in fact, at any time), this was a great substitute for the days I wanted something less "serious". In short, for something that is practically liquid, this can be a serious consideration as a meal. 

Ingredients-wise, the soup was rich - salmon cubes, mussels and shrimps were mish-mashed with potatoes cut in baby cubes and sliced carrots. What impressed me, however, was the ratio of seafood to vegetables; the seafood took up quite easily 85% of the soup, which immediately won me over. 

So, given its generosity in portion and ingredients, for the price I paid, I would say this was indeed worth every Euro. Burp. 

I need to mention that, apart from enjoying our beers and Guiness-es there, their garlic bread is also pretty awesome as a side. In fact, it has become a family favourite for almost every visit. 

Simply presented, it is essentially nothing special - half a foot-long baguette, freshly toasted and slathered with garlic butter. What impresses me each time it is served, however, is the generosity of the garlic butter. I've had garlic bread in restaurants where the spread is so thin, it was as if garlic was a precious commodity on the bourse. 

As a semi-frequent patron of the Pub, I would say their garlic bread has never been a disappointment. In fact, it is the family go-to "snack" whenever we feel a mite peckish, or are simply looking for something to go with our beers. There's something seriously addictive about this crusty rind with soft innards of mushy toasted garlic that is worth a calorie binge on. 

Other than those, the Irish Dubliner Pub also has other equally interesting food on its menu. Go try their Shepherd's Pie (1 portion can easily be shared by 2 or even 3 persons looking for a simple bite) or the signature Irish Stew (pictured bottom left and right respectively). If this was a competition, however, I would rule the Seafood Chowder the winner. But then again, that's just my humble opinion. 




So, the next time you drop by Erfurt, here's everything you need to know: 
Neuwerkstraße 47A 
99084 Erfurt, Germany

P/s they open at 5pm. So yes, there is always that one day when we don't feel like cooking, yes? 








Comments

Popular Posts