Skip to main content

Fresh!

Sawasdee-Ka in Erfurt

Erfurt has been blessed with an explosion of new restaurants and eateries. Not surprising seeing that food is, after all, a real necessity. What is a little surprising to me, and pleasantly so, is the sudden burst of Asian restaurants. Why this is, I have no idea. But I ain't complainin'.  One of the newest restaurants to come on the scene is Chao Phraya Thai Kitchen - a full-on Thai restaurant and self-proclaimed as Erfurt's first Thai restaurant. This latter part is especially important to note - most Asian restaurants here are a fusion mix of East, South and South East dishes.  For those less familiar with the differences: (Achtung: these are estimates of actual geographical boundaries) East Asia refers to the regions of and surrounding China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan Macao, Mongolia and Korea. South Asia would be the countries of India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Nepal, and the regions around it. Given its vast landscape, parts of India are also North Asia.  South East Asi

Spaghetti @ Willy B

If there's one thing I love about Thuringia, and Erfurt in particular, it's that there's so much history associated with the "regular" places I can see and go to. I know every city can boast of some historical value - my home city Kuching in Sarawak, Borneo, for instance, is steeped in history both good and bad - and Erfurt is even more so. To me, at least. 

Here is where you can find the centuries-old Krämerbrücke, a bridge with half-timbered houses on it, that connects one side of the city brook to the other. Originally designed to be the main communicating line as well as homes and trading spots, it was first recorded to exist in 1117 (seriously, I can't even think that far ago!). That's the perfect example of me living in the midst of history since I moved here. But it isn't the only one.  

I could go on and on about the many different historical spots you could consider visiting but since this blog isn't about those, I'll save it for another moment (or blog). 

What I can tell you is that I managed to have my meal in another historical spot, the Willy B restaurant at the Willy Brandt Platz, outside the Hauptbahnhof Erfurt. To better appreciate this culinary moment, I need to bring you back in time to what and who Willy Brandt was, and for this we need to understand that Germany was, once upon a time, split into 2 distinct parts - West Germany (the part the world knew better) and East Germany (its quieter part under the Soviet Union-style rule and also the part hidden behind the Iron Curtain which not many people outside was acquainted with). Thuringia was part of East Germany, also known as GDR (German Democratic Republic), and so was (and still is) relatively unknown to tourists and visitors, compared to its West counterparts. 

Willy Brandt was the Federal Chancellor of West Germany who came to visit Erfurt in 1970 to meet East Germany's then Ministerpräsident Will Stoph for a summit. This was a moment of great significance to the GDR as it opened the possibility of the Curtain being ripped for a new world to begin for the people. I can't imagine (or mirror) the excitement and hope that sparked from that long-awaited visit, but it must have been stupendous for the townsfolk to gather outside the hotel where Willy Brandt was staying. And cheer their welcome. Even more significant was that his face was seen at the window of his room and I'm willing to bet that those cheers became even more magnificent. 

Now, back in the present, I am sitting in Willy B restaurant, exactly where this beacon of hope of divided Germany stayed and most probably had his meals. And now, I am having mine. 



I opted for some spaghetti, as in the most typical spaghetti dish you can think of, to see how it fares against others. Spaghetti Bolognese with Rucola and cheese was served with real minced beef, homemade tomato paste and Rucolasalat (arugula salad). The first thing that hit me when it came is that it smells heavenly. Seriously. 

The warm wafts of freshly ground meat and tomatoes drifts up so distinctly it's almost as if they physically hit my palate. I could imagine its taste just from the mix of scents. Then comes the waft of warm pasta. Those two coming together is like they were being concocted into a dish by my olfactory organs, which is pretty delightful, I might add. 

I dig into my spaghetti and the first forkful of pasta up releases even more wonderful wafts of tomatoes, meat, pasta and now, I could even smell the freshness of the salad leaves. It was like being transported into Kitchen Heaven. For a moment, all those warm memories of kitchens past, where our home kitchens smelt of recipes passed down from grandmothers and grandaunts long gone, flash through the mind. Yes, I'm talking about that wonderful, all-powering, delicious scent. 

My first bite is no less. I love my spaghetti to be soft and malleable-like. I know it's not how everyone likes their pasta (some like it a little firmer) but for spaghetti, I like mine all soft and floppy, because it makes it so much easier to mix with the minced meat and tomato paste, and generally, to be better able to enjoy the tomato flavouring. This spaghetti was all that. All mixed up, this was one kicker of a super satisfying pasta meal. The combination of warm malleable pasta in thick tomato flavour with fresh Rucolasalat in the mouth is strangely fresh and energizing, like being all soft and crunchy-fresh at the same time. 

A win. This would be how I would describe this dish. 

Willy B does not disappoint in salad options too. 

This salad, simply named Salad with Beef Strips, was fit for a king. After today, never again would I see salad in the same light. This was a huge portion of salad leaves, cabbage, diced radishes, fresh croutons and huge slices of fried beef fillet pieces, mixed in with mozzarella cheese. I have to say, aptly named too. 

The dressing we chose was French, with about two or three other options to choose from. 

Regardless of its dressing, I personally feel this salad could stand on its own. No backup performers needed for this star. 

If you're a family meals kind of person, their Children's Menu is worth every Euro. 


The chicken nuggets were freshly done and piping hot when served, which makes it all the more appetizing to eat. The burnt fingers and tongue do nothing but increase one's appetite, I say. And these are worth every hot bite. 

(At this juncture, I have to expose my truly Malaysian roots and say, I should introduce German restaurants to the concept of eating fried stuff with chili sauce. Seriously. Nothing gives them fried stuff a kick better than chili sauce.) 

So, here I am happily devouring my food and Willy Brandt's room would have been just above me, where we sit eating. 

And thinking what a moment it must have been then in 1970. What a moment it is for me to know this, sitting here now in this spot. 

From Kuching to Erfurt. It's like I jumped from one historical city to another. How lucky can a girl get. 



Comments

Popular Posts